Your skin is at its best in your twenties, so it’s easy to become indifferent to skincare, but it’s arguably the most important time to get serious about your routine. One of our top skincare tips is simply that prevention of damaged and ageing skin is always easier than treatment! Plus, it’s not uncommon for twenty-somethings to be pulling all-nighters, partying, drinking and eating bad foods care-free; and these all have a negative effect on your skin. So if you don’t start to preserve and protect your skin now, you’ll regret it in the long-run…trust us.
Here are our 5 top skincare tips to get you on the right track with your regimen.
Basic ground rules
The four main steps you need to build a solid skincare routine are: cleanse, tone, moisturise and protect.
- Wash your face both morning and night to remove impurities and excess oil.
- Try to use a more gentle cleanser so it’s not too harsh on your skin and doesn’t dry it out.
- NEVER leave your makeup on when you go to bed. Make sure to remove both your eye makeup, as well as deeply cleansing away the remaining products on your face.
- If you get breakouts use a blemish cleanser with Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide.
- Toning generally helps to resurface and renew skin.
- Although, choosing the best toner for you depends on your skin type or skin condition.
- Pick a toner that will target your skin issue whether it be congested skin or dull, flaky skin.
- A good toner can help to de-clog pores and loosen surface cells to reveal a brighter complexion.
- Help restore skin’s hydration and make skin healthier and plumper with a good moisturiser.
- Especially during winter, your skin needs all the hydration it can get.
- For the evening, pick a moisturiser that will help protect and repair skin while you sleep.
- Protecting your skin from UV damage year-round is a must as 80-90% of skin ageing is caused by sun exposure. The best way to help prevent signs of ageing later on in life is to use SPF.
- 80% of UV rays can still penetrate clouds, so whether rain or shine, your skin needs protection.
- For dry and sensitive skin use: Solar Shade SPF50
- For all except sensitive skin use: Moisturizing Tint SPF30+
The skin around your eyes is the thinnest and most delicate part of the face. So another one of our top skincare tips is that taking extra care of your eyes will benefit you in the long run. Use an eye cream like Eye Restore or the Contour Eye Lift to help improve puffiness and diminish dark circles. Plus it’ll help slow down the appearance of fine lines.
Don’t over do it with the exfoliator
While exfoliating is a very important part of your skin care routine, excessive scrubbing can be too harsh for the skin, causing issues like inflammation and even breakouts! By excessively exfoliating you strip your skin of its natural oils, causing your cells to work in overdrive and create excessive sebum to counteract this. This then results in clogged pores and breakouts.
We recommend exfoliating 1-3 times per week. Not sure what exfoliator is right for you?
- If you have oily skin choose Refresh Facial Polish.
- For the combination skin type, your ideal scrub would be the Pumpkin Enzyme Scrub.
- Dry skin sufferers should use the Brightening Polish.
- Sensitive skin can be treated gently with the Gentle Enzyme Exfoliant.
Little drops of heaven
There are two ingredients that are essential for your skin to maintain it’s youth for as long as possible.
Vitamin C is an essential ingredient as it helps to stimulate collagen production, which keeps skin tight and plump to prevent wrinkles. However, despite it being so important, our bodies do not produce it on their own, and for those of us who unluckily don’t get to see sunshine that often (or don’t have the option to jet off somewhere sunny) our best alternative is a topical application. That’s where the 15% Vitamin C Serum comes in as one of our top skincare tips. Apply this antioxidant after toning and it’ll act as both collagen-booster and as a brightener and anti-inflammatory.
Pair your Vitamin C with Hyaluronic Acid to improve penetration of your skincare products, such as the B5 Hydration. It helps safeguard skin against environmental damage for overall healthier skin.