Freckles are a huge trend right now, and while we have nothing against those drawing them on with makeup, if you have them ‘naturally’ from sun exposure then we have bad news for you. They are an objective sign of sun damage and DNA mutation. Freckles are the first ‘warning sign’ that your skin type is particularly sensitive to the harmful effects of UV radiation (e.g. skin cancer, brown spots), and is thus at a greater risk of damage and premature ageing.
UVA rays penetrate the skin more deeply than UVB rays and are commonly referred to as ‘ageing’ rays. They can penetrate clouds and glass, so although the sun may not be visible, the skin is still being damaged. UVB (burning) rays penetrate the epidermis and are the main culprit of sunburn. These types of rays do not generally penetrate glass. UV rays damage collagen and elastin. These are fibrous proteins found in the skin that help to keep it firm and smooth.
How to Avoid Freckles
One of the easiest ways to avoid damaging skin is by using SPF. This is arguably the easiest anti-ageing product to add to a daily routine, which is often overlooked. 80-90% of skin’s signs of ageing is caused by UV damage. So wearing and reapplying broad-spectrum sunscreen daily can help prevent premature signs of ageing.
A few of our favourites are:
- Oil Free SPF 40+: recommended for all skin types, especially oily and combination. It combines Zinc Oxide, Octinoxate and Octisalate with Vitamin E, Vitamin B5 and Hyaluronic Acid to protect skin from not only the sun’s damaging rays but also free radicals and prevents transepidermal water loss!
- Moisturizing Tint SPF 30+: a lightweight, oil free formula utilizing a combination of Octisalate, Octinoxate, Avobenzone and Oxybenzone for sun protection. It conditions and protects skin, is available in four shades and can be recommended for all skin types.
- Solar Shade SPF 50: designed for delicate, sensitive skin. A blend of micronized, physical sunscreens, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide provide sun protection without feeling weighed down.
- Tinted Primer SPF 30: available in four shades, combines Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide to provide sun protection while evening skin tone with a sheer hint of colour from Iron Oxides.
- Luxe Liquid Foundation SPF 18: instantly revitalises the complexion. A combination of Titanium Dioxide and Octinoxate prevent sun damage while antioxidants strengthen skin and Diamond Powder gives a luminous, soft focus effect to the skin.